Just wanted to welcome my new followers & thank everyone for the increase in page views of late (basically hijacked a post on Kotaku.com.au).
Please feel free to leave comments on any of my posts, would love some feedback (but not about spelling & grammar, I know that’s terrible!).
Also, will be doing about 4 more reviews of the past season’s anime before I move onto writing some other articles -including a discussion on HBO’s True Detective & a retrospective on the Pokemon franchise (which I’ve been meaning to write for a while).
So, once again: thanks for the views & look forward to your feedback.
Let us ensure that The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth!
Yes, been busy with the academia stuff but still writing out the reviews & articles whenever I can.
Will post them up whenever they are finished.
Am also fixing up the style in which I post stuff. My recent writing for The Conversation showed me some more possibilities with the use of links & the like, so will integrate them into future posts as well as go back to fix up old entries.
Will try to make more time for this space but too many other demands in life right now. Will be asking others to submit guest reviews & opinions over a range of nerdy topics, thus expanding a range of things. I’ll also be introducing reviews of webcomic & Western comics, including a few classic favourite storylines. I’ll also be looking at some more live action things, TV & movies.
Unfortunately not enough time to do everything that I want but will get there.
New review to follow.
Need some head space & was wondering if people had any requests for things that would like to see reviewed or a topic they are interested in seeing discussed.
Things I will write about:
- anime -recent & classic
- manga -recent & classic
- live action TV
- classic literature
- recent literatue
- video games
- tabletop games
- anything generally related to geek or pop culture
So, if you have anything that tickles your fancy, drop us a line.
Am hoping to have a review of HBO’s True Detective up by the weekend, as well as some more anime reviews once I get a chance to finish them.
This is a new blog dedicated to my view of the world of Pop Culture, mainly focussed around various forms of literature (though mostly fantasy & sci-fi), degrees of academia (including drafts of my upcoming articles & theses), manga & anime, games & gaming, films, various reviews & some indulgence in nostalgia.
With what one would deem “nerd”, “geek” & “alternative media” cultures becoming more and more aligned to more mainstream cultural & commercial products, it is my intention to present different points of view upon the every changing worlds of popular and media cultures.
I shall be posting reviews, opinion pieces, discussions, retrospectives and personal indulgences as well as drafts of academic works as they come to hand.
From the standpoint of both an academic and an avid consumer of various cultural and media products.
A brief background of myself:
- I am currently working on a Masters degree in Media Studies & Literature specialising in manga & anime. My undergraduate work was in Film Studies, English Literature, Creative Writing & Philosophy.
- am considered a world expert in Supernatural narrative anime, due to being one of the few academics currently researching that genre as a standalone subject.
- am a writer who has had several articles & short stories published & am currently attempting to finish a fantasy novel. Extracts of which may be posted here in future.
- am avid music fan who is well entrenched in Heavy Metal & its many sub-genres & have also fronted several (not great) Metal bands in the past.
- I also engage in cross-platform gaming & try not to engage in exclusive fanisms over which console/platform, series, producers/companies or era may or may not be the best.
I am aiming to prove that is indeed “the Geek Shall Inherit The World“.